December 4, 2008

Say What's Up to Marvin


If I ever had to make a list of my favorite Artist of all time, I would be lying if I didn't say Marvin Gaye was my number ONE.
Music has always been a staple in my household, so I grew up listening to Marvin. It wasn't until I was older that I rediscovered and could fully appreciate what had been around me for so many years.
With all that's going on these days (wars,economy,global warming, etc.) it's so crazy to me that Marvin's 'What's Going On?' album can still serve as commentary for today, just as it did in 1971 when first released. The title track single and Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology) spot on to what the social and political climate is of 2008.





Unfortunately, Marvin, like most talented people, lead a very tortured life which was tragically cut short in 1984. The true mark of a legend is when their work lives on long beyond their lifetime, obviously Marvin made the mark.

No comments: